Монастырь Зимненский Святогорский Успенский
Svyatogorsky Dormition monastery of Zimna
As legends tell us, in ancient times the monks from Cave lavra of Kiev dug the caves, used as the cells, in the St Zymne mountain and in 1001 Prince Vladimir the Great built a wooden church of Assumption above them on one slope and a brick church of Saint Trinity on the other. The prince surrounded the churches with the towers and walls. One of them exists today and is called "Volodymyr's Tower-chamber."

The first record of the cloister can be found in the "Life of Theodosy Pechersky", when the first Father-Superior of Cave lavra of Kiev died here.

The church of Saint Trinity was rebuilt and the entire monastery was surrounded by a stone belt - a wall with six towers. Later the monastery was placed under the trusteeship of the princes Chortoriysky. Their family sometimes presented to, sometimes seizing the monastery's buildings.

However it was the last spell of abundance and grace for the monastery because the period of Union was already in the air. The monastery and its icon had been resisting the attempts of the members of the Uniate Church to seize the monastery until finally succumbing in 1682. For the following 113 years the monastery was out of the control of the Orthodox church. When the monastery became a property of Volyn senior man (starosta) Chatsky, three domes-embrasures were taken off because the monastery was of defensive importance and was turned into a Catholic-like church which was repeatedly looted. Once Chatsky entered the church and started ridiculing the major relic of the monastery, - the wonder-making icon - he was blinded immediately and died within three years. All his offspring have also been blind before their death. The Chantsky family closed down the cloister and allowed it to fall into decay.

The monastery was in such a poor condition in 1795 when it was given back by the Orthodox church, that further restoration needed to be carried out.

In 1789 Zahaetsky donated 800 zloty for renewal of the monastery.
In 1861 the churches were completed, and in 1892 the nuns from Koretsky monastery moved back into Zymne, and the monastery continued its existence as a nunnery.
In 1914 there were 103 lay sisters, two priests and one deacon, and giving two years schooling for women.
In 1931 there were 30 nuns and a celibate priest.

In 1946 the monastery was shut down, all the nuns - except for four - were first transferred to Dermansky monastery and then in 1959 returned to Koretsky monastery.

On 6 September 1990 Volyn and Lutsk episcope Bartholomy blessed the church-yard and the walls of the monastery - the icon-lamp of Zymne monastery was lit up again. Yet again as 195 years previously, its rebirth fell on the lot of the Koretsk nuns. The Mother Superior was assigned, a nun of Koretsk monastery Stefana (Bandura), and her assistant - a nun Nikolaya (Tyshuk) At the present time there are 25 nuns and lay sisters, a celibate priest, one priest and a deacon. The average age of the present nuns is 20. Among them there are young ascetics/devotees who are engineers, journalists, nurses, pharmacists, tailors and those with other secular occupations.

On 14 May, 1993 a tomb with the relics of the first-martyr Stefan and Arseny-Hardworking Pechersky was delivered to the monastery. And that very year a healing miracle-working icon of Virgin of Pochayev was brought here. This icon is carried by a religious procession once a century. It was carried out by Archbishop of Volyn and Lutsk Nifont.

с. Зимна Владимиро-Волынского р-на Волынской обл. (Украина) ( 1993 )
монастырь женский
female monastery
церковь Св. Троицы
church of Holy Trinity
церковь Успенская
church of Dormition
bell tower
монах Николай (Тышук)
Stefana (Bandura), настоятельница
SS Stefan (1091 - 1094) and Amfilokhiy (1105 - 1121) lived in the monastery as the resident bishops.
The famous Reverend Nestor-annalist who came here, as the manuscript states, "to inspect the schools and teach the lectures."
предмет с изображением:
посвящённый предмет:
Virgin hram