Церковь св. Климента
Church of St Clement
It is one of the oldest churches in Ohrid, and concurrently one of the most beautiful, above all for its frescoes.
According to an inscription on the western entrance of the nartex, the Byzantine military commander and deputy Progon Zgur, a relative of the Emperor Andronicus II Palaeologus, built the church.
The inscription also states that the church was dedicated to the Holy Mother.
When the Turks converted the church of St Clement into a mosque, his remains were first moved to the small church of St Clement, and later on to the church of St Bogorodica Perivlepta, after which the people simply renamed the church into St Clement.
In the period after the conversion of the church of St Sofia into a mosque, the church of St Clement became the cathedral church of the Ohrid Archiepiscopate.
A large number of religious objects, icons, and books were brought to St Clement.
It is known that within the church there was a large Archiepiscopate library that contained papyrus manuscripts from XI and XII century, and old musical notations of Byzantine church songs.
Some of these precious objects are preserved to the present day, however the majority was taken from their original home during the devastation that Ohrid and its citizens were exposed to. Also there was a large monastery estate around the church, and the Archiepiscopate Palace was built in its immediate vicinity. However, it was burnt to ashes in the middle of XIX century.
The church St Clement used to be called "The Great Church" because it was the cathedral church of the Ohrid Archiepiscopate.
The discovery of the frescoes in the church fundamentally changed the knowledge about art in the late XIII century and the beginning of XIV century, not only in Macedonia, but also in all Orthodox countries in Southeast Europe.
They were actually the last phase of the Byzantine culture known as the Palaeologus Renaissance.
At the same time, the frescoes of the church reveal the work of two artists, Michael and Eutychus, who for nearly three decades dominated the art of fresco painting in Macedonia and Serbia.
Церковь крестово-купольная.
The shape of the church is cruciform with a dome and a parvis with narrow calotte.
This, as well as the churches of St John the Theologian and St Bogorodica Zahumska, that are also cruciform in shape, are examples of Macedonian architecture from the Palaeologus period.
Пристройки 14 и 19 вв.
In 1365 the fresco painting of the northern and southern chapel paraklis??? as well as the open porch were completed. At that time Archbishop of the Ohrid Archiepiscopate was Gregorius II. The artists were disciples of the School of Theorianus.
It is interesting to note that the southern chapel paraklis??? is the place where now the covering plate of the joint tomb of St Clement of Ohrid and the Archbishop Prohor is preserved.
A number of masterpieces were also discovered in the porch. They date from the XII century to the beginning of the XIV century.
Сейчас это музей.
Охрида (Македония) (1295 )
церковь БМ Перивлепта ( - )
church of the Mother of God Peribleptos

церковь св. Климента

church of St Clement
придел св. Григория Богослова, северный
chapel of St Gregorius the Theologian

придел южный

захоронение св. Климента Охридского и архиепископа Прохора
tomb of St Clement of Ohrid and the Archbishop Prohor


фреска (~1295 )
Virgin hram